Chad Warpinski / EyeEmGetty Pictures
Flag etiquette is an essential section of the American custom that assures the Stars and Stripes are addressed with the dignity they ought to have. Recognized by Congress in 1942, the formal U.S. Flag Code established tips for the treatment and display screen of the flag. Despite the fact that it does not explain an formal strategy for folding the flag, the principles do state that you ought to under no circumstances store a flag in a way exactly where it can get torn, dirty, or destroyed. You ought to also under no circumstances enable the flag touch anything at all beneath it, these types of as the floor or ground.
In excess of time, a triangular condition has develop into the traditional way to fold the flag and store it in a harmless method. According to the American Legion, the precise origin of this unique process is unknown, but it may well trace again to the Gold Star Moms of The united states or the United States Air Pressure Academy.
You can fly Aged Glory any day of the 12 months, but you may well want to set away an specially large flag soon after exhibiting it on Memorial Working day. This strategy will keep your flag on the lookout pristine until finally until finally the Fourth of July or the upcoming key vacation. If you happen to be by by yourself, initially lay the flag out on a desk encounter-up, smoothing out any wrinkles. In any other case, find a lover and stand reverse just about every other at the short ends, keeping the flag taut and parallel to the floor. Here is what to do upcoming:
How to Fold an American Flag
- Fold the reduced, striped area of the flag in excess of the blue field.
- Fold in excess of the folded bottom edge to fulfill the top edge.
- Start off a triangular fold by bringing the striped corner of the folded edge to the top edge.
- Transform the outer issue inward, parallel with the top edge, to variety a next triangle.
- Keep on until finally the ultimate folds ensure that only the Union (the blue part with white stars) is displaying and the open edges are folded in.
See Specifically How to Fold the Flag
A few guidelines:
- In the initially two techniques, you happen to be primarily folding the flag in quarters lengthwise.
- If you happen to be folding the flag with a lover, the individual at the striped end ought to make all of the triangular folds while the individual at the Union end retains the flag taut.
Flag etiquette dictates only flying your flag concerning dawn and sunset unless of course it is correctly illuminated. You ought to also acquire down Aged Glory in the occasion of inclement weather apart from if it truly is an all-weather flag made out of a non-absorbent substance like nylon. Only fly American flags in excellent situation, but as prolonged as you comply with these tips, your Stars and Stripes will very last many years to come.